Thursday, September 13, 2007

Let's calm down here

So I've become aware of the bigger picture. Six months ago I bump into the Peak Oil thing, and then I throw myself right into it - read articles, books, follow up links, view documentaries, attend meetings, enlighten myself about related depletion, economic, financial, humanistic and other issues. In short, I burn out.

I recognize my tendency to do that.

That hyper-energy invigorates me for a while, and it sweeps me through swathes of informational territory. It's a good technique for rapidly covering the canvas. And yet, it's unsustainable too. I can't carry on in that fashion.

I've got to live deliberately. I need to march to my own drum. It is imperative for me to see how I will respond and react to the bigger picture. What are my strengths and inclinations? Where should I invest my efforts? How do I choose to interpret what's going on (down), and with which lenses do I choose view the world?

I'll start with this: we're all going to die. In a sense, we're dead already. It's all in the programming. There may be decades or merely months - it doesn't matter! Really, it just doesn't matter. I know that death is nothing, so it should not concern me. It should make me free and unconcerned.

This being so, nothing that happens is of any import. You could say that the world ending is similarly no big deal. When you die, as far as you are concerned, the world does stop. And so its future also is nothing to get uptight about.

All I'm saying is that there isn't any need to get frenetic about shit hitting the fan. We can afford to relax about it all, and that will allow us to live in harmony with our inner nature. There is nothing that is demanded of us. No one expects anything of us (or shouldn't). We are free . . . to live freely. It's all a game.

And since it's a game, how we play it is the thing. We ought to be alert, yet relaxed. We should play in the position we're temperamentally suited for. It behooves us to concentrate on form, skill and fancy footwork. That's all that there is. That's all that there could be.

And so I tell myself: no more willy-nilly rushing from one thing to another. I choose to prepare for the future according to inclination, not nerves. Yeah, I think that this is more on track. The next steps will follow on from there.

No comments: